The Resist Dye Techniques of Mali and Indonesia with Aboubakar Fofana: 24-26 March 2023, Ubud, Bali
- Free worldwide shipping
- Low stock - 4 items left
- Inventory on the way
Preparation, handling, dyeing, and finishing for natural dyed cloth using cassava paste and batik wax resist techniques
During this 3-day workshop with Aboubakar Fofana at Threads of Life in Bali, you will be inspired by resist dye surface design techniques from the perspectives of two continents. Through the lens of Aboubakar’s creativity, you will learn the cassava paste resist tradition of Mail and the batik wax resist techniques of Indonesia with natural dyes including indigo blue and Ceriops brown.
Using vats of indigo blue and tannin brown prepared during his first two workshops in Bali, Aboubakar and the Threads of Life team will teach cassava paste preparation and application, batik wax application by canting (pen) and cap (stamp), cloth handling in the dye vat, and finishing to remove the paste and wax. Most of the workshop will focus on creative exploration, inspired and informed by Aboubakar’s calligraphic and artistic practices.
About Aboubakar Fofana
Aboubakar Fofana was born in Mali and raised in France, and is a calligrapher, textile designer, artist and master dyer. His work is motivated by a love for the natural world and its cycles and rhythms, a deep concern for the environment, and a vision to share the luxury and beauty of goods produced using indigenous materials and techniques whilst helping to reinvigorate and sustain important traditions. His atelier is in Bamako, Mali, and he regularly travels the world giving workshops and lectures, and meeting others who work with natural dyes and textiles.
About the Threads of Life Dye Studio
At the Threads of Life dye studio and dye garden in Ubud, Bali, we teach and produce with dye recipes we have learned from across the Indonesian archipelago, collaborating as peers with the master dyers we work with in the field. Aboubakar and Threads of Life share an approach to natural dyeing that seeks plant-sourced dyes by plant-sourced processes and avoids synthetic additives or mordents. And where Aboubakar finds the root of this approach in his West African animistic heritage, our staff dyers find their inspiration in the animistic practices articulated through Indonesia’s indigenous textile traditions. Bringing these two traditions together promises to be a vibrant and exciting experience.
• Morning and evening transfers to and from the workshop location at the Threads of Life dye studio (Umajati Retreat).
• Workshop time from 10:00-1:00 and 2:00-5:00 each day, dye materials, fabric and yarn for workshop exercises.
• Lunch from 1:00-2:00 at the studio. Free flow drinking water, tea and coffee throughout the day.
Workshop does not include:
• International airfares are not included.
• Accommodations in Ubud are not included, and we recommend that participants find a place to stay along the route of the morning and evening shuttle between Ubud and the workshop location at Umajati Retreat. The shuttle route is marked in red on the location map below.
• Limited to 15 participants.
24 March 2023: Day 1
• Scouring cloth for dye work
• Preparing cassava paste
• Cassava resist application and dyeing exercises with one colour (indigo)
• Batik wax resist application and dyeing exercises with one colour (indigo)
• Removal of paste and wax, and finishing (washing)
25 March 2023: Day 2
• Cassava resist application and dyeing exercises with two colours (indigo and Ceriops brown)
• Batik wax resist application and dyeing exercises with two colours (indigo and Ceriops brown)
• Begin personal creative projects
26 March 2023: Day 3
• Personal creative projects
Travel insurance is required for all participants. The insurance must cover the loss, expenses and damages arising from, including but not limited to, the cancellation of the workshop (whether in whole or in part), non-participation due to personal illness, personal accident and injury, personal liability, medical and repatriation costs (an emergency air medical evacuation to Singapore can cost upwards of USD 30,000 and medical care facilities in Indonesia are significantly different from the West and medical evacuation is extremely expensive), loss of baggage and personal money and belongings, and flight cancellations and delays.
We regret we cannot accept liability or pay any compensation where the performance or prompt performance of our contractual obligations is prevented or affected by reason of circumstances amounting to “force majeure”. Circumstances amounting to “force majeure” include any event which Threads of Life and workshop leader(s) could not even with all due care, foresee or forestall such as (by way of example and not by way of limitation) acts of God, terrorist activities, insurrection, explosion, flood, tempest, forceful wind, fire or accident, war or threat of war declared or undeclared, sabotage, civil disturbance, labor strikes, requisition, sickness, quarantine, government intervention, weather conditions, and unforeseen circumstances.
Participant Cancellation and Refunds
An overseas teacher’s travel and organizational costs for a workshop at Threads of Life are significant and in order to maintain a small group that offers personalized teaching we have a strict cancellation policy. Payment is therefore non-refundable except under the following conditions:
• If a cancelled participant’s place is resold and the workshop achieves its maximum group capacity, a full refund will be made;
• If a cancelling participant finds a new participant to replace them, their payment may be transferred to the new participant;
• All refunds will be processed within 28 days of the start of the workshop. Refunds will be reversed directly to your credit card.
Cancellation requests must be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No refund will be made for failure to attend or if you voluntarily leave the workshop for any reason after it has begun. No refunds will be given for any accommodation, transport, sightseeing, meals or services not used during the workshop.
Workshop Cancellation by Organizers
If the workshop is cancelled by the organizers, there will be a 100% refund of participants’ workshop payments within 28 days of the cancellation; however, we cannot be responsible for refunds of participants’ airfares or non-residential accommodation costs.